Monday, November 2, 2015

What Will the Next Generations be Like?

            I was at a family gathering for my parents’ anniversary and my father and sister’s birthday and my uncle was telling us about his promotion at work. He was excited to say he finally got his own office. While telling us about his new job, he told us a story that caught me by surprise. He told us that on his first day, they gave him a paper to read and he put it down on his desk and subconsciously began to try to scroll as if he was on his phone.
            I was shocked to hear that because I’m a teenager and I have never had that issue. It made me wonder; if a 34 year old man is too used to using technology that he subconsciously tries to scroll on a piece of paper, what will the generations after us be like? Is technology taking over everything we do?  I think that people are too attached to their cell phones, tablets, computers, etc. I think it’s a shame that this is what it has come to for some people; they only rely on technology and they get so used to it that they cannot even do things as simple as read a piece of paper without trying to scroll.
            The next generations probably won’t even know what it’s like to read a paper. Even younger generations now are already so consumed by technology. I know a couple of kids who use a tablet or iPad to draw or do things that they can do other ways. Will this become an advantage or a problem in the future? I think that if everything becomes about technology, it is going to make things more complicated. If there is ever an issue with electricity or a cyberattack, everything would be ruined.

            I do not think it is okay to rely on technology for everything. It is not right for things like trying to scroll a paper to happen. People need to wake up and realize that there is more to the world than just their phones, laptops, tablets, TVs, and just technology in general. Technology does not make everything easier, although it may seem that way. Some things are better off not being technology based.  

No comments:

Post a Comment