Sunday, November 29, 2015

Have Cell Phones Ruined the Holidays?

                Have cell phones ruined the holidays? I would say yes for those from the ages of 6-18. When I was with in those ages, entertainment at holidays was all about each other. TV was limited to football and if that did not hold your attention you were forced to seek alternatives. What at first seemed like a devastatingly boring couple of hours always turned quickly around with the help of my siblings and cousins. I got to play with my cousins for the first time in a couple of months. We would build forts, have elaborate adventures and wreak havoc on the adults that let us ban together. Holidays were about spending time with distant family that we did not get the opportunity to see often.
                Even as I grew up and “playing” with my cousins began to seem too juvenile for me, I began to transition to talking to the older generation and spending more time with my aunts and uncles. I would butt into conversations and learn more about the generation that came before me.  As time moved on I learned to have real contributions and hold interesting conversation with the adults.
                The way that I grew up at holidays is far from what I see my younger cousins do now. I watch my younger cousins all staring at their electronic devices, cell phones and ipads. There is no imagination, no creativity, just blank stares and silent kids. The fun that I used to have is nowhere to be seen.  I cannot say that the adults are not also guilty of abusing their own use of electronic devices, but I can say that it is not making the same impact. The games and fun we had is being replaced with these devices. Instead of being forced to find a way out of boredom, they turn to the instant gratification of their phones.
                This is taking away the incentive to get closer to their cousins. And as they grow they get more and more attached to their screens and avoid any personal contact with their family. This removes the transition from playing to adult conversation, and leaves the kids antisocial. They see no need to talk to their family because they have their phones to occupy their time.
                This passed Thanksgiving, my sister noticed this trend, and decided to collect phones. She walked around the living room and got a hefty stack of cellphones that she put into the other room. It did have a positive affect for a short while. It was amusing for all involved and for about a half an hour most followed the rules and sat around with each other. The adults were actually the first to crack and ask for phones back to take and post pictures, but what I really noticed was that the kids still did not do anything with that time. No game was made, or activity concocted, they just sat around and waited staring at the football game that clearly held very little interest for them. The instinct to entertain themselves has been lost. I fear to see how this will develop as time goes on. It may very well be that holidays as I knew them, are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment