Sunday, November 15, 2015

Thoughts and Prayers

            As many of you have heard, Paris has been bombarded by multiple terrorist attacks recently. But I’m not here to talk specifically about the attacks. I want to address everyone talking about it on social media. A friend of mine brought to my attention that r/toosoon was blowing up with activity. So I decided to go there to see some of the posts. None of them were very good, but one stuck out to me. It was a link to this video.


Now this comedian, Anthony Jeselnik, is known for being very crass and outspoken. This segment is about people reacting to tragedies on social media. He makes fun of people who react to these tragedies with, “My thoughts and prayers to people in [blank]”. He says that this statement is worth “less than nothing”. He says this because, “You are not giving any of your time, your money, or even your compassion. All you are doing is saying, ‘Don’t forget about me today’”.
A part of me agrees with his view here, but a part of me whole heartedly disagrees. For the most part, I’m not one to post things on social media. I’ve never done this myself, but I do find myself telling people that are close to me that “I wish the best for them and their family” if there is something that happens to them. I have come to understand that this is my way of doing the same thing, but I’m not trying to do it for attention. I’m doing it because I genuinely care and wish the best for them. And I can also say that, on the receiving side of these words, it doesn’t mean ”nothing”. It feels nice that people you know are showing their support. But recently something has happened that I do believe means “nothing”.
This:

You are not doing anything meaningful here. You are not spending any of your time to do anything helpful. You are simply clicking a button that puts an opaque shader over your profile picture. Like Jeselnik says, you are not giving of your time by doing this. You are not showing any compassion by clicking a button. Then I think about the money portion of what he says. This is, in many cases, the best that people can do to show support. In just as many cases, there are people who would like to support others, but they cannot afford to give any money. So their thoughts and prayers are all that they can give. And if that is not enough for you to receive, then you need to do some serious thinking about yourself and your views.

No comments:

Post a Comment