Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Lord Google, who art in cloud

Google reads my emails.
It knows my interests, my political standing, my hobbies.
It has my purchasing history and my wallet.
All this on my phone, attached to my account, with an umbilical to the cloud.
Oh it also knows where I am day by day and saves that.

And I for one, am grateful for our cloud overlords.

Some people are against this. I see why, I know their fears, but when I can get notifications for when the last bus home leaves for the night, I can push it aside.
They're scared of the information being used for purposes other than good. I too am scared, but when I can get an effective payment replacement option, with everything secured, I can get past that.
They're against the tracking of your searches and interests, but when the advertisements I get are tailored to my interests and are actually applicable to what I'm actually looking to buy, I can start to disagree.
Fact is, google makes me feel like I'm living in the actual future. Wearable electronics that give you a unique way to see notifications? I'm down with that. I wanted to be a glasshole. I'm a fan of utopian science fiction, where the conflicts are internal and human. Where having a computer know who you are and what you're interested in is part of how society works. I'm naive and hopeful that the future is bright. They're fearful, and paranoid. They're the type to point out that the system in Minority Report was flawed before anything else(it was, but that's not the point). They're too fearful about the corporations. They're the people who tell everyone that if a product is free, you're the product.

They should stop fooling themselves. Their information isn't more than something that is in a database somewhere with a million other people's interests. We're not important in the grand scheme of things. If you want to use their products and boy are the products good, then you shouldn't be too obsessed over these kinds of things. Especially when they improve one's quality of life. Imagine not using google chrome, google search, or your android phone. Imagine instead of using Stevens mail through gmail, you had to use Stevens webmail. Right away, I can tell you that my QOL would be much lower. Imagine that instead of targeted ads, you were shown the ads of whoever paid the most, or was shown geographically targeted ones. There might be tons of hot singles in your area.

The bottom line is that these services, however intrusive they may seem are just silent helpers, here to make our lives better than they were without them. They bring us closer to the future, whichever one that may be. There may come a day when all this information could be used against us, but that's for us to worry about then. It may in fact never come, and those fearful people might seem like Luddites. Until then, I'll enjoy my mass manufactured textiles and google notifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment