Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Steve Jobs


Steve Jobs, One Last Thing

Many people know Steve Jobs for Apple, Inc. but don't know that he was also CEO of Pixar. He actually made most of his fortune from Pixar. I recently watched "One Last Thing" which is a documentary about Steve Jobs several months after I started reading Steve Job's biography. The documentary and biography confirmed my thoughts that he was an arrogant, self-composed man, but I appreciated his genius.

Aside from learning that Steve Jobs was a very difficult man to deal with, I learned a lot more about how much of an impact this man made on any of the businesses he touched. He wasn't a very technical person but he was a phenomenal marketer and visionary. As shocking as it may sound I actually consider Steve Jobs to be a role model for myself. I may not agree with him personality or many of his personal choices but from a professional standpoint I really admire his work.

The one thing that I admired most about Steve Jobs is how he always pushed for innovation. He did not simply improve upon a process that was already in place but he created a new experience. i.e the Macintosh. I grew up with a PC so I hated the Macintosh. My reasoning behind my dislike for this product was because they were too limiting. You can't develop for the iPhone unless you own a Mac, you have to pay $99.00 a year to submit applications to the apple store, you can't use a standard VGA cable unless you have an adapter, etc etc. I didn't have much against the Mac itself. I was more annoyed that Apple tried to make a profit for everything. I realized I had no ground for hating Macs except that I preferred PCs because they were more affordable.

I would often boo and sneer whenever someone would say they purchased an iPhone or MacBook. I never owned an iPhone or MacBook and quite frankly I didn't want to because I was happy with my PC and Android phone. Then one day I was forced to buy a Mac because I wanted to enter into an innovation challenge. The competition required an iPhone application but I didn't own a Mac. I could've set up a virtual machine and developed my app that way which I initially did, but because of the lag, etc I decided to just purchase a Mac. I bought my first MacBook this year and was very hesitate at first, but now I rarely use my PC. The interface and design is much cleaner and the performance is better. It kind of feels like having a luxury item and to this I attribute the hard work of Steve Jobs in making a wonderful product.



No comments:

Post a Comment