Thursday, December 10, 2015

I Wanna Play with My Data

While scrolling through my news-feed today I came across a linked shared by someone in this class that was a “year in review” type of web page for Spotify. Since I'm a Spotify user myself I thought it would be interesting to check it out. It had the basic breakdown of the music I've listen to this year, by artist, song, genre. Aside from the fact that my top genre was Mellow Gold (which I've never heard of before), there was nothing particularly surprising about this. After seeing this I got to thinking all the cool things that I could do if I had access to this data myself. I could see how much time I spent listening to music of each decade, or by year even. I could see what proportion of the songs I listen to are covers. All sorts of fun stuff, but at the end of the day I can't because I don't have access to this data. Spotify has an API access some things, but not in the depth I would like.
Should they? Would people actually use something like this? Unfortunately I think the answer to the last question is probably not.
I'm not an average person when it comes to this type of thing, I know how to access APIs and play with data, so obviously I'm going to be more inclined to want that sort of thing.
In an earlier time the twitter API was simple to use and people were doing some pretty cool things with it. For example, people made projects that would tweet out various things from arduinos (small cheap embedded computers). Over time twitter has made it harder and harder for developers to work with their API. Luckily there are still some pretty cool services out their using the API.
Many of the sites that we use every day are tracking us, but it's almost always to benefit themselves. Giving users access to their own data would let us track ourselves. Right now I can literally track myself on Google Maps, and it's as unsettling as it is fascinating.
On March 19th I went to a diner in Holmdel. I know that I did that, but its nice to remember.
So what does this have to do with Spotify's end of year music review? They both show us neat things that we can accomplish when companies try to let users play with the massive amounts of data that they've generated.
In some sort of CS student paradise, all of our services let us play with our data. We could synthesize all this data, maybe combine it with any bio metric data if we are into the quantified self movement. We might be able to find out all sorts of interesting things about ourselves.
There could even be companies spring up trying to tell us all these interesting facts about us. Sure they would know basically every detail about us to a point where it's almost creepy, but it would be pretty nifty.
I'm fairly certain this will all remain a fantasy, but maybe there is something to letter users play with the data companies give to them.



No comments:

Post a Comment