Tuesday, December 8, 2015

How Much Do We Need It?

Undoubtedly technology and internet has intertwined heavily into our world, into our everyday lives and into our very existence. I myself can barely go an hour without messaging someone in some sort of way, doing work or surfing the web on my laptop, or even knowing what time and where I have class without my electronic copy of my schedule. What I like to tell myself is that I am not addicted I use all these things out of necessity. Now what is necessity? Here I do not use in the sense of, I need to use it or I will die, it is more of, it would be inconvenient to not have the technology but I would be able to accommodate without it. That is my experience but what about the world, has technology come so far that our reliance on it has made it impossible to downgrade to not rely so heavily on it?
Today it seems that the world uploads and manages everything via internet and computer servers. With the amount of people who exist today it would be impossible to manage all the necessities and requests of everyone without servers to manage the influx of data. If the world were to downgrade then it would be impossible to quickly and realistically to tend to the needs of a modern day business. Humans evolved to use technology as efficiently as it can in order to make everyday life easier, in its process we have been increasing our life expectancy as well and our population has only increased. In such a cramped world without technology to exist to help as many people as we can it would be impossible for any institution to tend to the needs of its customers
On the other side of the technology argument is that we can go day by day and figure out how to accommodate without technology, cell phones, laptops, or TV.  Yes we can live without these technologies made to entertain us. Like any game we want we can forget about it because we have yet to form any emotional reliance on it. With the technologies we are already use to can over time be taken away. A person requires about 2 weeks to get use to their situations and environment. In this sense we do need technology in our life.

Now taking both sides into account life to a certain extent can be technology free. As far as leisure goes and what we use daily at home is not mandatory but to manage business and corporations it is necessary, especially when certain organizations like hospitals are responsible for the well being of people and without them people may die. Our society has developed enough that it is dependent on technology to the point where some people need it to function biologically. Because of how far we have developed we cannot downgrade our society. It would involve getting rid of habits we have as well as going against our societies function. 

No comments:

Post a Comment