Sunday, September 27, 2015

Cookies Yummy but Mischievous

This evening I found myself enjoying a lovely batch of chocolate chip cookies when I thought of the other less delicious type of cookie.  That's right, tracking cookies on your computer.  While extremely useful, cookies also do some things that you don't necessarily want.  Cookies are good for auto filling those tedious boxes when logging into websites, as well as keeping you logged in to those same websites because god forbid anyone have to type in order to view their facebook page.  I know I would break down crying if I had to type in my email and password every time I wanted to see a new picture of someone else's lunch with a filter and #blessed.  However, cookies do so much more than just make sure you can't remember your password that one time you need to.  They also keep track of every single website you go on.  Of course it's not just one website that keeps track of all of your online actions, its basically every website that uses cookies to track what you do.  Most of them use your browsing history in order to specify advertisements to you.  For example, if I were to spend an hour looking for Yankee tickets on their website I would most likely see an ad for Stubhub the next time I went online.  While this is all well and good, the government could also use cookies to track your actions as well and the government isn't trying to sell you baseball tickets.  They're looking for people who are terrorists, but at what point does the government stop following every action you make online?  While cookies do save everyone about twenty seconds by not having to log in to websites along with giving us all super relevant ads, there is a downside to all that chewy chocolaty goodness.  Also, speaking of disappointments I was unable to see the super moon this evening due to the insane amount of clouds above Hoboken.

No comments:

Post a Comment