Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Another Reason to Want a Tesla

When someone asks me what my dream car is,  I will almost exclusively tell  them that if I could  have any  car in the world, it would be a Tesla Model  S, but the  new  Model X is catching up on my  list. For people who are not familiar with Tesla, they are a California based automotive company that produces exclusively electric cars. This company’s electric cars blow most other electric cars out of the water. While most other electric cars sport a range of forty to sixty miles per charge, Tesla batteries will take you roughly 200 miles before you need to plug in again. Also, these cars tend to have much more than other electric cars. Tesla’s totally ditch the “hybrid” feel that many electric cars provide. In addition to the electric motor and sports car performance, these cars also provide a luxurious interior and more on board electronics than even the geekiest of drivers would know what to do with.  Well, yesterday, Tesla announced a new feature for the model X.  I know this sounds like a joke, but I promise it isn’t. The new Tesla will have a Bio-Weapon Defense Mode. Yes, you read that correctly.  Allow me to explain.
Tesla's New Model X

In the Tesla Model X, when this new feature is activated, the air filters in the car go into a high power mode where they apparently filter out even the most harmful of particles in the air. Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla and Space X, describes the effect as giving you “hospital quality air”. At the event, they explained that while testing the feature, they were having trouble getting their sensors to detect anything in the air in the car at all, meaning that the feature works EXTREMELY well.

I know bio weapons seem like something that most people need not worry about, but this feature might be very nice to have in cities with air that is less than ideal, or if you are driving behind a garbage truck. I personally, would love to have this is my car. If this is the direction that cars are headed in, which I think it is, I am all for it. Tesla is certainly on the cutting edge of the auto industry, and one can only hope that the technology they use becomes cheaper and more widely available so that more people can drive electric cars. So, if you were on the fence about getting a Tesla, now you should decide to get one because if there is a bio weapon attack, you can rest assured that you will have clean air in your fancy new car as long as you can find power stations to keep it charged up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment