Sunday, March 29, 2015

My effort at stirring up another Apple fued

Recent discussions in C&S class made me think of a comedian's video on YouTube I saw earlier in the year. Here's the link. It might be useful for the rest of this post or just a funny video picking fun at Apple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90NJOpjq02M&list=PL0KAgFGmTkxIijiZ93naQh08fKRE2YgMT&index=9

Before I go any further I'd like to say that I don't hate Apple nor am I a disciple. I own an iPhone, iPod, and I had a Macbook before it got too old and I am very happy with all of them. I like Apple as much as the next guy.

A few things in this stand out to me, the first line included. It seems that lately Apple has not been making many groundbreaking improvements in terms of data technology. The new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus did have several cool aspects but to many people, including John Elerick, it was simply making the existing iPhone technology in a bigger package. I for one agree that this phone is too big. Also add that Samsung has used the "new technologies" in their phones for some time now. Not to mention, they've made them waterproof.

Going forward with the video, it brings a thought to my head. Now I'm sure there are plenty of Apple-lovers who will disagree with me on this with certain statistics to back their argument. That's fine, but this is just my viewpoint on the matter. I feel that Apple is relying on the fact that they are Apple and they are already so popular, in order to make money. The Apple Watch is a perfect example of this. As stated in the video, this "combines the technology of a Fitbit and a first generation iPhone." Great...There is nothing spectacular about this watch except that it is another Apple screen. I don't look at this watch and say "wow that's great technology that could be useful." I think, "why don't I just keep wearing the watch I have and do all the other stuff on my iPhone?" John Elerick makes some funny, but fair points in his rant. I think the only people who buy this out of the gate are people who see a new Apple product and feel the need to own it because Apply changed something. Fortunately enough for Apple, they have so many loyal customers that will do this so they will profit well from the watch. I don't know a lot about the ins and outs of Apple Pay, but on the surface it seems that paying via iPhone is still relying on Apple fanatics to just use Apple technology, Is it that hard to pull cash or a card out of your wallet?

The claim remains, and I am forced to agree, that Apple is making strides in design and marketing, not so much in technology.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking for a while now actually. Apple just seems to come up with products that aren't always the best technology or don't seem to be the most necessary of products, but they always sell (at least for a period of time) because Apple is Apple and there will always be people who line up the night before for release date. I feel like enough people are in love with the idea of using "new technology" or gadgets instead of doing things the "old-fashioned way" that things like apple pay and the apple watch will sell, even though they're really no more useful than the tech gear that already exists (watches, wallets, not waiting in line for 30 hours to drop a ton of cash on a bigger version of the phone we already have).

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as being stagnant in technology, I think a lot of this comes from the lack in new creative influence. Steven Jobs was an innovator and had a gift for envisioning new technologies. Also, until 2014, Apple never had a r&d center. They essentially just bought technology from other companies and packaged them in cool cases. Now that apple has in house research, I think we will see a kick start in the uniqueness of their technology.

    ReplyDelete