Monday, March 9, 2015

Apple's New Product - The Apple Watch!

In September 2014, Apple announced their latest product - The Apple Watch. Its like an iPhone for your wrist! The item will be available for pre-order on April 10, 2015; and will be available to own on April 24. The 38mm watch will start at $349. The 42mm watch will start at $399. The stainless steel version will be $549. The 18-karat gold edition will be $10000. Its a bit pricey for my tastes, but interesting nonetheless.

The Apple Watch needs to be paired with an iPhone 5 (or later) running the latest version of iOS 8 in order for some of its features to work. One of its main selling points is its collection of health and activity trackers. The Activity app shows you fitness related details, such as how many calories you burned, how many times you stood up, how much you walked, how much exercise you got, etc. The device will also give you weekly reports and suggestions to improve your health. It has a built-in heart sensor, and is waterproof. There is also a Workout app, and Fitness app, that perform similar functions as the Activity app.

The Watch will come with Siri installed. The Watch will support apps made by third-party developers. The Watch will also "tap" you on your wrist if there's a notification. You can also draw characters on the Watch to text or to just doodle. It will also support instant messages and phone calls. The device has a speaker and microphone, so you can have a conversation straight from your wrist. You can also get customized watch faces. I hear that there's a Mickey Mouse face out there!

According to Tim Cook, the battery life is about 18 hours. Overall, I think the Apple Watch is a cool product. Phones used to be twice the size of our hands, and now we can fit a phone within 38mm. Not only is the 38mm device able to make and receive calls, but also able to do a ton of other things. Its almost scary how fast technology has evolved. We'll probably need magnifying glasses to use future technology products! The downside to all of this is the price. $349 may seem reasonable to some but unfortunately, others do not have the same luxury. I think its a good product, but honestly, I wouldn't fork over that much money for a watch, especially when I already have a phone with similar capabilities.



http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/09/apple-watch-features-photos-price-release_n_6831230.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

4 comments:

  1. Although the Apple Watch looks great and sounds great, I just don't understand the point of it. Is it actually a "watch" or a miniaturized iPhone on your wrist? The price itself is such a turn off - $349 for a watch! I would rather go to Macy's and buy a nice "watch" worth the same thing and has one use and that is to tell me the time when I am a too lazy to pull my phone out. All the health apps it comes with do sound great but can't these be done with your phone (counting steps) or your doctor or a machine (blood pressure)? This watch comes with the bells and whistles but what sets it apart from every smartwatch out there? The brand? The materials? I just feel like as a society, we are integrating too much technology into our lives and we have to careful going forward. Sorry Apple, will not be buying this product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The watch is a very cool concept, but it seems very unneeded. I mean, the watch cost almost as much, if not more, then the phone itself. Aside from the fitness features, there really is no difference between the two. Why not just get a fitness band for half the price? Is the convenience of not needing to reach in your pocket worth this much? I certainly don't think so. That being said, I appreciate the detail and technology put into the device. Its stylish and useful. I feel like every single apple device serves an extremely similar purpose, making it unneeded to purchase more than one of them. If Apple displayed a great differentiation between their devices, I would feel more inclined to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Apple Watch is a cool idea, regardless of how practical it is. In general, I think smartwatches have a lot of potential. These watches are still at the early stages of their development, but later generations of these devices could include many more enticing features. What I’m most interested in seeing is what ideas third party app developers come up with. Useful applications can certainly make the difference between a successful and non-successful product. Until then, though, I recognize that these are expensive, non-essential accessories. Even if I owned an iPhone, and was invested in the Apple ecosystem, I doubt I would buy the Apple Watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though this all may sound like a great idea and all, what it really just sounds like to me is having a small iphone attached to your wrist, as if having our iphones attached to the palms of our hands wasn't enough already. The invention itself is awesome - it reminds me of something you'd see in spykids as a child and want really bad. But now that its here, I must say that I have no interest in wasting my money on this product. The fitness features seem to be the best part, but even then there are watches that JUST perform those fitness features, and connect with an app to your smartphone, for less than half the cost! I feel like if Apple keeps putting out such similar products, (iphone, ipad, the watch, the nano - they're all the same...) then people are going to start getting bored with it. We have to recognize when its going to far... the watch seems to me like its gettig taken too far.

    ReplyDelete