Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Catstacam

The human race has reached the peak of its technology. Coming soon to our feline friends, Whiskas is working on wearable technology that takes six pictures a minute and automatically posts it on our cat's personal Instagram page as soon as Kitty is within wifi range. To make sure that you don't have a million pictures of Kitty napping, the device only turns on when it detects movement. What does this mean for you? You can now cry yourself to sleep every night because your cat will have more followers that you. Instagram has been infiltrated by cute dog and cat pictures - I definitely find them cute but sometimes, enough is enough. I don't think Catstacam should be a thing but if eventually does, I'm probably getting off Instagram for good for the sake of my insanity. I like cats but I don't need to be seeing six of them in a row when I go on Instagram.

3 comments:

  1. I saw this too!! I thought this was silly at first, but now you can follow the life of a cat! (which is great for someone like me who doesn't understand the complexity of a cat's life) Although it's trivial, i think it could be really fun! I also thought of a new elite team of spy cats with their little cameras for fun. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this has gone too far. To be realistic,a very small fraction of people would find this useful and the rest would see it as meaningless and annoying. I go on instagram to see what my friends and some celebrities or sports teams are up to. I certainly don't, and don't plan on, seeing what people's cats or other pets are doing. I agree with you that I would likely get off Instagram if this becomes a major thing.

    But, this concept could be beneficial in another way. If this product takes a picture every ten seconds while your cat is moving, it can be used for finding lost pets or items. Say your cat slips outside and you don't know where it went; you can pull up these pictures and trace their steps to hopefully find them. If your dog loves to steal things like shoes and hide them, you can discover the whereabouts of these stolen items by referencing the pictures.

    Ultimately, I think this product could store the data on its own database or a separate social media site. If following the lives of pets is your thing, then by all means, have at it. But don't litter a popular social media site with this feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you suppose it's possible that this is a commentary on how Instagram is full of meaningless posts (do you post to Instagram?) rather than sincerely contributing to that problem?

      I can't say I would expect that from Whiskas, but I really want this to be social commentary.

      Delete