Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Apps aimed at children

With the recent discussions about privacy and data collection, I thought it was fitting to blog about Apps that are collecting data on kids. Carnegie Mellon University's computer researchers launched a website called PrivacyGrade.org that ranks every Android app on how it tracks the user. Every app is graded A,B,C, or D which depends on how the app tracks and if the tracking matches up with the user's expectation. Apps that are upfront about how they track you like Facebook and Instagram get an A.

I found it very interesting The Holy Bible app was able to grab the user's contact list, phone call history, phone number, carrier and tracks the location. This app received a D grade and deservedly so. Even though I'm no longer a Christian, I still have this app on my phone and I wonder why they need my information. The company that developed this app probably wanted the abuse the fact that a majority of Americans are Christian, own phones, or don't enjoy carrying a bible around.

Apps that Kids enjoy that collect data that received low grades are My Talking Tom, Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds, Hill Climb Racing, and many popular games. Why would apps like My Talking Tom or Hill Climb Racing need the user's phone number?  Jason Hong explains that when app makers want to make money from an app, they insert chunks of computer code that delivers data to advertisers, without actually reviewing it. The app developers don't even know how intrusive their app is.  They sign up to receiving income from multiple advertising networks because that sends user data in all directions.

Is this the right thing to do? I don't think so. However I don't think app makers have a choice. I just wish they would review the code that are being used and at least give users the option to deny data collection from these apps.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/06/technology/security/app-privacy-kids/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment