Monday, October 19, 2015

"Smart" Watches

I don’t get smart watches. I don’t get what purpose they serve. Is being able to see a notification a few seconds faster really worth it? As more and more people are getting smart watches I often think to myself “are they really worth it?” I can see the convenience of looking at your wrist instead of actually pulling out your phone but what other purpose do they serve?

Smart watches seemed to explode onto the technology scene, starting with the rumors of Apple’s mythical wrist device. Pebble was the first true “smart” wrist device but it was simple and was only in black and white. Rumors started a buzz in the tech community ever since the original iPhone came out, with everyone wondering when the first true “smart watch” would arrive next. After years of waiting, Motorola teased a new, circular, smart watch that made everyone excited. I even considered buying it based just on how nicely the watch was designed; a fully circular aluminum watch face with interchangeable bands. On paper, it seemed like the perfect device, but it was tarnished by it's "flat tire" black bar which houses the display drivers and ambient light sensor.

 Soon after, the competition started releasing their own smart watches, including Samsung’s Gear S and the Apple Watch. They all were good at being smart watches but soon after I stopped giving them much attention. They all seemed to be marketed more as a fashion device rather than a smart device. If I were going to wear a watch, I personally would prefer a more traditional watch rather than a square strapped to my wrist (with an exception to the Moto 360).



I think if there were more innovative ways to use the watch rather than just simply looking at notifications and changing songs. One useful function that I could see myself using is the Google Maps integration, making it extremely easy to use while walking around a new city. Another great feature that I wished more companies would use is the Motorola Moto Maker for their devices. Moto Maker allows the customer to truly make their shiny new device unique to them by changing the colors and watch band. Maybe I’ll change my opinion over time if the developers create new and useful features for these devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment