Sunday, October 25, 2015

Our voice will echo in the space of Virtual Reality



          The sounds of the ending credits of the movie was quickly drowned out by our excitement at praising and criticizing the movie.  Our voices echoed throughout the vast white space around us.  “You know you should decorate this room with more than just a TV and couch,” one of my friends commented as he looked around at the bare space around us.  I replied, “Eh, the bare essentials is good enough for me.  I’ll be right back, I think I hear my cat asking for food again.” I press a button the vast whiteness suddenly turned dark.  I removed the head set from my eyes and confirmed my cat clawing at my pants while meowing.
          This could soon be our reality!  The consumer version of the Oculus Rift comes out some time next year and with it the untapped potential of its revolutionary technology.  I believe that this device will be the starting point for a new chapter in digital media technology.  The theoretical applications of this device have ranged from simple office usage to enhanced gaming technology.  If linked to a social network or a program like Skype, one could create a 3-D digital chat room where the users can look at each other and hold a more realistic conversation (this being even more enhanced with emerging 3-D sound software).  From a social standpoint, it would make friends separated across the world to meet together in their digital rooms and play together.  I believe it would be trivial for these rooms to display screens where friends can watch movies together or play games by using input from real controllers to play games on a virtual screen.  Movie theaters could use this technology to create a new level of immersion for the audience.  Imagine having a headset on that allowed you to look away from the action and turn to the scenery around yourself and more fully appreciate the beauty of the scene (of course this would depend on the quality of the movies utilizing this technology, but that’s not what I will discuss here).  I have seen a university developing the next generation of roller coasters using the Oculus Rift.  They have discovered that when the human body is experiencing centripetal force from a turn in a roller coaster, it is unable to discern the exact degree of change.  This allowed students to create a digital ride that masked on top of the existing roller coaster, but completely changed the path while giving it a new look.
          Despite such an optimistic outlook on the potential of the Oculus Rift, there is one area of concern that I have with this emerging technology.  Ever since the start of this class, I had been disturbed by my discovery of how many people (primarily the younger generations) are concerned and obsessed with things such as social media and smart phones.  I have known people who literally cannot keep their hands off their smart phones to check something every few minutes.  When my friends and I go out to eat, we sometimes have everyone stack their phones into one pile so that we would socialize with each other instead of with our phones.  From what I recall, the price of the Oculus Rift is slated to be around $500 or more.  If this price were to drop low enough, I could imagine that owing an Oculus Rift, or any similar device, being as common of a sight as owning a smart phone.  Imagine people simply laying or sitting down all day while communicating through their headset instead of even bothering to walk 3 blocks down to actually meet with a friend.  The final destination of this train of thought lead me to the movie “Wall-E” where the surviving humans move around in floating chairs and don’t even bother looking left or right because they had a screen in front of them to talk too.  They are lost inside a virtual world that makes them ignore the real world.
          To me, the Oculus Rift brings joy and concern.  This technology is the starting gate for the creation of immersive virtual worlds.  I can imagine large vast recreations of popular worlds such as Middle-Earth from The Lord of the Rings.  Being able to look around and explore the creations of creative developers would be awe inspiring.  Therein lies the danger that people may become too immersed in this technology.  This brings me to my final question, what’s next?  I will leave this next portion as a separate blog post, but I will reveal that my next post will relate the Oculus Rift to a similar technology introduced in the anime “Sword Art Online” called the NerveGear.

No comments:

Post a Comment