Sunday, October 27, 2013

Watch Dogs

Video games has been a big presence in my life since as long as I can remember. From the first time I played Super Mario 64 to when having Halo 4 marathons with my friends. Gaming as been an aspect of my life that I enjoy and that allows not just me, but millions of people worldwide to experience the innovation, creativity, and the "Imagination" of the worlds best creators. Video have definitely come a long way, especially in the last decade. Games are more realistic, more immersive, and more complicated and continue to grow each day. Video games are an Art, it evolves, it challenges, it inspires. Grand Theft Auto V is such a game. It broke records on its release date, it was filled with controversy, and it was a big satire of what it is to be "human". I want to focus on an upcoming game that has been on my list of "MUST BUY". And that is Watch dogs


This game takes a modern approach on being a "Hero" or how most authority figures call them "Vigilantes". The main character Aiden Pearce is a combination of our favorite non super powered comic book heroes like Batman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Black Canary, or even the Robins. But as we all know this kind of "heroism" can only be in our imaginations. Reading or watching their exploits is the best we have to "the super hero phenomenon", What this game does or what it is trying to do (in my eyes) is making these beloved hero characteristics and put this in a world that is the closest thing to our real life. Pearce has one super power, and it is smartphone. Yup, a smartphone, but not just any smartphone, this phone give him access to basically anything he wants as long as it can connect through internet. He can hack phones to access bank accounts he can trip security alarms, he can get away from the cops by shutting down the power in a sector. All of this is achieved through his phone.

What I love about this game is the fact, most of these ideas are not that far fetched. Our phones are purposed to do a variety of things, people can train and become skillful into hacking systems or integrate technologies together. Technology is so embedded in our lives that the architects of these systems have tremendous power. Smart people aren't feared or revered because they are smart, they viewed as the people that can do extraordinary things whether its for good or for malice. I know that the people like this exists, but I also know that they are outnumbered. But I can see someone program his Nexus 4 into a tool that will allow him to do the things in this game. And I'm no saying that it will be easy, but it is not impossible. The skill and technology is out their to make it happen. What we should be looking into is how this will effect the dynamic of our societies. I think there are two possible routes, one in which all of us move forwards and embrace this new technical prowess, or the other where a good portion of us will be left behind while others prosper.

Taking away the capes and the tights, a true modern hero doesn't seem that appealing. This game will truly challenge our views on how we think our technologies are "helpful" and really make you think. "There is a lot of good that can be utilize, but so many 'What if's'". I;m really excited to get this game and play it but I do think of its practical applications. This "Virtual" world is not to far off into what our world can become., the question is, will we embrace it, or go against it.

Here's a link to actual gameplay!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYgXvgS6Ww

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to this game, too. At first I thought the main character was just a jerk, since he seemed to be beating people up and stealing people's money for no reason. Then I saw some video clip about how he's on a quest to save someone (a family member?) from a human trafficking ring, and it kind of changed my opinion.

    The part I don't think you touched on in your post, however, is the morality of the main character's actions. Do you think he is justified when he uses the powers at his disposal? What about if a player decides to drain a virtual character's ATM account - does that money even count as stolen? Are we allowed to ignore their suffering in our quest to save people in real danger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it was delayed until next year. I had already preordered it.

    ReplyDelete