Friday, October 18, 2013

Waking up to the smell of coffee and the sound of cell phones "ping"ing

What is the first thing you do when you wake up? Do you brush your teeth? Stretch? Feed your pet? I just mentioned some very reasonable options of what normal people would do in the mornings. However, most of us can’t say any of those things is the first thing we do. The first thing that I do when I wake up is pull out my phone (which is conveniently placed under my pillow), to check my texts, Facebook, Instagram, email, and twitter. It isn’t a quick 1-minute once-over either. I lay there (without even sitting up) and catch up on the world for about 15 minutes before sitting up and going about the rest of my morning routine.

Looking at my phone constantly has become not just a habit, but a part of my daily routine. Even after the morning hours, I continue to feverishly check my phone as if expecting a huge surprise every second. When I’m bored while waiting for the bus, or waiting for my class to start, I check my phone. Even when I’m hanging out with a friend (not even bored at all) I just have to pull out my phone and check it. Why? It’s not like I’m waiting for someone. It’s not like I’m expecting a call. It’s what I’ve been doing ever since I got my first cell phone in middle school. It’s a habit that is completely normal and everyone can admit to being guilty of this.

So the question becomes, is this new social landscape being negatively or positively impacted my the internet and social media? In my opinion, there are two solid sides of the coin. So what’s first, the good or the bad?

Let’s start with the good.
People who are die-hard pro Internet advocates claim that the internet has created a whole new way to be a part of the lives of your friends and family. You can be up to date on everything by simply following someone on Facebook or twitter. You can reach someone on short notice thanks to texts and the reassurance that everyone who hasn’t been living under a rock for the past decade checks their phone as frequently as you do. You can stay up to date on news by following your favorite news anchors. When I asked a friend about his opinions regarding this topic, he responded, “People who would otherwise never leave their moms' basements are now able to have some social interactions with another human being through the Internet.” I can’t argue with that logic. There are many people who are just naturally shy and not social butterflies due to reasons ranging from insecurity to anxiety. These people are finally given a chance to feel social.

I think that technology has redefined how we communicate. It has directly connected us to our friends and family. I’m able to talk to my cousins and grand parents in India, the same way I communicate with my sister in Albany.  It has enabled normally antisocial people, to be able to experience social interaction with like-minded individuals. The Internet has made the world more “global” than ever, removing the distance barrier that otherwise inhibited communication a few decades ago. I'm a huge fan.

And now for the bad stuff.
Many critics of the Internet claim that it has created a generation of increasing antisocial behavior. Much research has been done in the area lately, after seeing a large increase in antisocial behavior in teens. I read this article, which summarized in bullet points, the negative side effects of teens who overdose on Facebook and other social media. Teens with an excessive Facebook presence can develop narcissism, anxiety, depression, and short attention spans. Teens frequently check their phones during class (about once per 15 minute of lecture), which hinders their focus and educational intake. Antisocial teens are also likely to get into more illegal activity (I’m not sure how true this is, but I can see where it comes from). In my opinion, this article highlights the most extreme cases of antisocial behavior from excessive Internet usage.

When I think of antisocial behavior caused by technology and the media, I think of more subtle examples. I think of situations such as a group of friends “hanging out”… except everyone is on their phone. Or when friends are all sitting in a room together and talking—online through their computers over a video game. When I think of the negative impact of technology on the social landscape, I think of all the personal encounters that are interrupted by our bad habits of checking our phones like a timed bomb is about to go off. It’s as if we prefer electronically mediated impersonal interactions to face-to-face organic ones.

Overall, I feel that there are pros and cons to the Internet. I believe that the Internet is a powerful communication tool that should not be abused. It can be very addictive. I personally feel great when I know what is constantly going on around me. I’m sure others feel the same way. But there is a limit to what good it can do. Without a safe balance, people can become completely absorbed and consumed with their phones and computers, and may go to the extent of sacrificing real human interaction for electronically mediated ones over the internet with strangers who you know close to nothing about.

My fix for the issues? There is none. The world has been vying for a way to stay constantly connected, and this is it. It was meant to happen sooner or later. The time makes no difference. 

We received a terrible burden along with the gift of the Internet. 
Now we must strive to keep it under control.
How? 
Don't ask me, I'm from the generation that grew up with the Internet! 


No comments:

Post a Comment