Monday, October 7, 2013

Technology is Really Changing Us

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been noticing, more and more, how much communications technology has been changing us over the past 5, 10, and 20 years. I started thinking about this when I saw an Internet meme that showed a young adult walking in a suburban area. The top caption caption said “Darn! I forgot my phone. I guess I’ll just pretend it’s the 90s!” The bottom caption said “….wow, the 90s sucked.” This is clearly a play on how attached we are as a society to our digital devices. Even something as simple as taking a walk can become a mundane and boring task without a smartphone. Since I saw this meme, I have been thinking more and more about its implications. I would like to share several examples of how I think we, as a society, may be becoming too dependent on being connected (myself included.)

The other day I was on my way to go to grab some lunch, and I realizes after about 10 minutes of walking that I forgot my phone. Without thinking, I turned around and went back to my apartment to get my phone. On my way back, I was thinking about how silly this seemed. I took time out of my day and walked well out of my way just so I could ensure I wouldn’t lose my connection with the world.

And this doesn’t seem to be an issue with only the younger generations. I visited my family this past weekend for a birthday party. Everyone had their iPhone on the table right next to them and grabbed at it as soon as a notification popped up. I seem to remember that 5 or 10 years ago during a family gathering, everyone’s phones would be in a central pile. After all, why would anyone need their cell phone while they are spending time with their family? Go back 15 or 20 years, and it would be rare to find anyone within a group of people who even owned a cell phone. Nevertheless, with the advent of smartphones and the idea of always being connected, we all seem to need our mobile devices clutched at our sides at all times.

I was out at a bar and I had forgotten to charge my phone for the second time today. (I leave it plugged in when I go to bed and then by about 7 or 8 pm it could use a little more time on the charger.) As the night went on, my battery percentage became lower and lower until my screen went black. Whatever, I thought, I’m out with friends and don’t really need to be using my phone anyway. Even still, I couldn’t break the habit of checking my phone for notifications every few minutes, even though I knew it was dead. It has become such a force of habit to make sure we are up to date on the latest happenings within our social circles that I actually forgot, multiple times, that my phone ran out of battery.

Taking a step back, is this really such a bad thing? I think that if it doesn’t interfere with face-to-face social interaction, it’s not a bad thing. I’m very much an advocate for communication technology, and I think it’s wonderful to be able to fill the gaps between face-to-face interaction with other forms of communications media. However, many people take this too far and become antisocial even when they have real face time with friends or family. I worry that the trend we see today will continue, and people will become more and more dependent on being constantly connected.


1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything you are saying. I am guilty of only having 12% battery life left and scrambling to find a charger to try to prevent it from dying. But being out and about with your phone does give you a sense of security, if something was to go wrong you would be able to call someone to help. The part about interfering with face to face social interaction I think will become more and more of a problem. Maybe not with us and a few years younger but with the kids in elementary school today. There are 2nd and 3rd graders with iphones and ipads. So I wonder if it will limit their growth of social interaction or actually benefit them? I guess only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete