Sunday, October 13, 2013

Religion or Science?

I do not know about you but I was raised religious at a very young age. Since 7, I was brought to a lot of temples to hear monks preach about Buddhism, the prospect of heaven and hell, and the time when Buddhism will end equating to the end of the world. My parents will wake my sister and me up very early in the morning on Sunday to prepare us for Sunday school to learn in depth about Buddha’s life and his words of wisdom. At the end of the year, our knowledge will be tested through a final examination. That lasted throughout my primary education life, from 7 to 12. When I was 12, I knew so much about Buddhism even for my age. My classmates would consult me if they had any questions or quandaries on religion. I had an aptitude for sharing my thoughts on what I thought was right and wrong too! However, now at the age of 22, I suddenly become very skeptical of my thoughts on religion and science. I feel so torn in between my spiritual and rational side just because I know that science is slowly but steadily beginning to answer questions religion once answered.

Without question, religion has shaped who I am and what I have become. Religion is the pedestal to my principles and morale. My parents have taught me “the way of life” incorporating Buddhist teachings into my everyday life. They said that we are bounded to a wheel of suffering, experiencing birth, old age, sickness and ultimately death. After death, we will be reborn again and the cycle continues on forever. The only way out is through sheer determination in giving and doing good deeds, practicing the 8 noble paths and meditating.  Every single night, my mom would ask me whether I have chanted the five percepts vow before I go to sleep. No killing, no stealing, no adultery, no lying and no drinking alcohol.  Easy as it seems, to be honest, it is by far the most difficult thing to observe and crazily intense! Recently however, I watched National Geographic’s The Story of Earth and that changed my perception on the creation of the world. It became quite clear to me that a supernatural force did not create the earth, rather it was by chance. The dinosaurs dominated the food chain for 185 millions years and then it all ended when a huge asteroid fell on earth. Do I think that god or some supernatural being decided that it was time for the dinosaurs to perish? No. I fear that after 185 million years of human existence, humans will be wiped out just like the dinosaurs. I have come to believe that science is a powerful rational reliance that explains so much about reality like how our body dies slowly, which explains why people believed souls existed, the part of our brain that is responsible for emotions and not the existence of a soul and the evolutionary algorithm which explains how humans evolved from the simplest of mammalians.


I want to accept religion but at the same time, I want to be rational. I do not want to be fooled just because it is easier doing so.  I believe that religion is crucial while the human race is young. But, I have a gut feeling that religion will become obsolete as science progresses. We believe we need religion because it is human nature to look to a supernatural power whenever we are in doubt or when we cannot explain some phenomenon. However, living in an age of science and technology changes that. We now understand more of the human brain and our behaviors. A scientist does not need god to be secure. The scientist just needs evidence and rational convictions. In the same way, we need to learn how to manipulate our thoughts and fears. The Charisma Myth by Olivia Fox Cabane is such a spectacular book that explains the workings of the brain and ways to improve oneself. One example in The Charisma Myth is the responsibility transfer breathing exercise to increase confidence and faith in your own capability. Books like Cabane’s increase my understanding of human psychology without having to worry about being irrelevant. I know some people may argue that we still need religion to inculcate moral values in children and adults alike, but I feel like the human race has evolved up to a level that religion may not be as necessary anymore. The justice system will punish those who have committed a crime, moral education in school will teach children between right and wrong and parents can guide children with their knowledge on human behavior. Religion has definitely helped shaped who I am but I am not sure whether religion is still needed when I am raising my children.

3 comments:

  1. The debate between religion and science has been going on for hundreds of years. However, most of the time it is a debate between two people with two different beliefs. As technologically oriented students in a technologically advanced age, it seems that this debate is becoming more and more internal. So, what you are experiencing is something that many people are experiencing. As a Catholic, I also find it difficult to balance my beliefs as a religious human being as well as a scientist. Despite the differences in our religions, I can relate to much of what you have described here.

    With that said, however, there were a few statements in you post that I found very interesting. You stated, "I have a gut feeling that religion will become obsolete as science progresses." In some respects, I can understand why youwould make this statement. Historically speaking, however, this is VERY bold statement. Religion has existed to some extent for as long as humanity has existed. In my opinion, religion will never fully become obsolete. People will continue to read and study religious books, however outdated may be. Though, aspects of religion will advance. For example, homosexuality is opposed within the Catholic church. Opposition to homosexuality is becoming more and more outdated. I believe that there will come a time when this is accepted within the Catholic church. Further, within the Catholic church, women are not allowed to hold positions of leadership. I believe that this will also eventually change (although this will probably take a VERY long time).

    Religion will never go away and it will never become obsolete. It will, however, change and adapt to modern times in order to be practiced.

    I am only familiar of how some of these changes relate to Catholicism, but do you feel that this could also relate to Buddhism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up going to Catholic school from kindergarten to senior year of high school so I can related to deciding between religion and science, especially now that we go to a highly technical school such as Stevens. Ever since I entered Stevens I asked myself if my faith or religion would fade as I continued on this course, learning more about computers and technology. But now I see that my experiences at Stevens has shown me just how critical and important it is to have both religion and science as a sort of checks and balances system. You can't be too involved in either without giving up the other, and I believe it's bad to be either completely scientific or completely religious--a flexible balance between the two is perhaps best. It's good to be rational about certain issues, but sometimes in life you need a little faith or belief in some super natural entity to get you through in life or to give you the motivation to pursue whatever it is you want. And it's not like science and religion can't go hand in hand either, it just takes a little stepping back and looking at the bigger picture to understand how they can relate. I went to a Jesuit high school where we studied the Bible for one year and we learned that nearly everything written in the supposed "Word of God" was not to be taken literally most of the time--it was supposed to transcend time so that each reading's meaning would mean something different based on the time period one was reading it from. We can't expect the stories from a millennium ago to literally apply to the world today.
    Of course I say this from the perspective of a Roman Catholic, but I'm sure the same can be said for any religion. Again, there just needs to be a balance, and I totally agree with what Rita said about religion changing as time goes on--and how it will not be obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Rita's comment, I believe the statement "Religion will never go away and it will never become obsolete" is just as bold as one stating it will.

    I agree with you that religion has become more liberal and can adapt to change, but it does not follow that because religion is flexible, it is immune to the effects of time and reason.

    There is a reason we do not all agree on the same religion, the same way we agree on scientific facts. Science is based entirely on proven experience and logical reasoning. Religion is based on subjective experience and cultural tradition rather than indisputable facts.
    Lets not get lost in the unfounded beliefs of our ancestors. The earth is not the center of the universe and it is certainly not flat. Religion is the pseudoscience that attempts to fill in the gaps science has not. Lets take off the training wheels and embrace reality for what it is, not what we thought it was in the past.

    In response to Xerta's comment, I disagree that religion is needed as a check for science. The balance you speak of is personal. It seems that religion provides you with spiritual comfort as well as moral guidance, but it is ignorant to assume that science cannot provide the same advantages as religion.

    On a spiritual level there are secular mental exercises which elicit the same stress relieving and motivating responses praying or having faith can have. Self-improvement books are filled with these types of substitutions based in statistical evidence. A great example is the book Rachel mention, The Charisma Myth. God and religion are not essential for mental comfort and support. Science has provided an answer; its just hard to see it when you already have one.

    There are plenty of good morals to be learned from religion, but being religious is hardly a requirement for being a good person. Our founding fathers decided that religion has no place in government and they are right. We do not expect people not to commit crimes because they are religious. We have a government that uses punishment as a deterrent for bad behavior. Religion is not the generally accepted solution to immorality.
    It would be a mistake to say all atheists are bad people and science has no moral standing without guidance from religion. Ethics and morals don't cease to exist with the belief in God. The idea of secular humanism bridges this gap and describes how one can be without a higher power and act morally. Personally, one might need some faith to balance the cynic tone of science, but if you look closer, science softens around the edges and offers the same personal spiritual support commonly attributed only to religion.

    ReplyDelete