Thursday, April 9, 2015

Virtual Reality Should Not Be Our Realty

Two weeks ago, there was a lengthy conversation had during class about virtual reality.  For anyone that doesn’t quite understand what virtual reality is, the definition provided by Google is “the computer-generated simulation of a three-dimensional image or environment that can be interacted within a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a helmet with a screen inside or gloves fitted with sensors, etc.”  Some students made the argument that one day, virtual reality will be our main form of interaction and communication, and that life will be better when that day comes.  Personally, I disagree with this.
            We’ve all had the phases in our lives when we were obsessed with the Sims, or games similar to it.  That’s the thing though.  It was all meant to be a game.  I could never imagine wanting that to be how I communicate with, and see the rest of the world.  We have already become such hermits compared to what we used to be, due to the progression of technology over time, and using virtual reality to live in would only make it that much worse.  I understand there are plenty of adults out there that are into gaming online, and chatting in those fantasy worlds, but I have never considered those really socially acceptable.  I probably come off really judgmental, and I apologize for that, but my opinion is my opinion.  Sorry, not sorry.  Why would you want to just sit around looking through your computer screen for the rest of the life when you can be outside, having real life interactions with the people around us?  Secondly, world is already obese as it is, and that issue will only get worse if it becomes an even greater norm to stay secluded, indoors with your Cheetos and Dr. Pepper, or whatever it was we said to stereotype these virtual reality enthusiasts.  Whether the stereotype is true or not, I agree with it.

            I believe everyone should have their hobbies, don’t get me wrong, but it should remain just a hobby.  Once it becomes more than that, it is an immediate red flag for me.  Even the people that are into LARPing (Live Action Role Playing), they are at least getting outside and interacting with each other, personally.  So I give them credit for that.  E for effort!  I say you have one life, and you should live it the way you want, but don’t live it alone.  And that is what a virtual world takeover would do.    

No comments:

Post a Comment