Sunday, April 12, 2015

Contrary to Popular Belief, Smartphone Apps Can Make You Smarter

Throughout grade school, I was always labeled as that “smart quiet girl”. High school was a breeze for me. I graduated fifth in my class out of 360, with a 98.6 grade point average. Every time I was in class, other students would always stare at me as if I had two heads whenever I got my test or quiz back with another 100 on it. I mean, school mainly focused on the maths and sciences, and obviously (One would hope), that since I ended up in an engineering college I just had a knack for it. I am a very left-brained person. Some argue that I have it a lot easier—that it’s easier for me to get this super hard degree of Chemical Engineering and to get a good paying job. And I mean they’re not wrong; it’s nice to know that I have a job secured and that I will be living pretty well off come graduation. But there was always one thing I would be, and still kind of am, envious of other people – their ability to use the right side of their brain more fluently. I find it so so intriguing in people who can tap into that side – especially those who can just pick up learning instruments and languages so easily. I have always yearned to learn another language. Classes are time consuming and inflexible and books and learning programs like Rosetta Stone are too expensive. I would always say to myself “maybe if I had more time”. Now, I don’t have much of an excuse anymore with the help of my IPhone.

While online, I came across this language learning website called Memrise. I noticed there was an app for it as well, so I decided to download it. You have the ability to learn another language on this app for free. Really free, not like those apps where you have to pay to get the premium options. Well, there is a premium option, but it’s only to see your statistics and to help with words that are difficult for you. I am currently trying to learn Japanese. Kind of random, but I've always loved Japanese culture and have always wanted to learn the language (call me a Weaboo, I know). There are probably hundreds of lessons one can access on the website, and those lessons are synced to your app. You go through each lesson, learning the basic things such as the alphabet (or syllabary in my case), and small sentences and questions. As you become more advanced, there are lessons to further advance you, like grammar and learning to read the language. It even works to move these lessons from your short term memory to your long term, by “watering” the levels as you go, since each level is a flower.


I feel like downloading this app has been one of the better decisions I've made in my life. There’s often some negativity around smartphones and apps, with people saying they’re distracting us too much or making us dumber. I just wanted to bring to light that they are good too, from my personal experience. I don’t know that I would have ever gotten the motivation to learn another language if it weren't for the Memrise app. It lets me learn it on my time, which is invaluable to me. Not only that, but apps and smartphones can literally teach us anything now, from DIYs to subjects in schools and how-to’s.  Having the resources to learn Japanese through my smartphone has made me happier. My goal is to become fluent in Japanese, and with this little app, I think I can make it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment