Monday, April 27, 2015

AI

This past weekend I saw the film Ex Machina. I highly recommend it to anyone who is taking Computers and Society as it deals with a lot of the issues we have discussed in this class. The film explores issues with Artificial intelligence and what it means to be a human. I don’t want to reveal too much because it is so good. The one thing I want to say is how even though the film is in the science fiction genre; it feels like it only a few years away from where we are now.  The same thing goes for the film Her which feel like it’s only 15 or 20 years in the future. I think these films settings are telling us that we as society are starting to accept the idea of AI being a something that is just around the corner. When you watch older films that deal with AI like Blade runner and I Robot, the societies depicted are so different from ours. This gives the feeling that AI is way off in the future, but now we don’t think that is the case. With the development of things like Siri we can imagine our world with computers that we can treat like human.
It may be that I go to a Tech school or that I am in this class but it feels like AI is becoming a real concern for humans. After watching Ex Machina I watched a TED talk entitled “What happens when computers get smarter than we are?”. After watching this Ted talk I was concerned of what the implications of AI would be. I use to think that the whole Terminator AI takeover was stupid, but know I am not so sure. I guess it all depends on what we make our AI’s motivations. As the Ted talk suggests if we make an AI that wants to make humans smile, does that mean an AI would try to hook up electrodes to our face to force us to smile. It is scary to think that anything we program our AI’s to “want” could cause them to do something we really don’t want them to do. Another scary idea is could AI’s develop their own desires. It is so tricky to answer these questions because an AI by its nature would be self-changing and dynamic. My intuition tells me we will be fine but part of me is very scared at the idea of a computer that is artificially intelligent and smarter than humans.
Even though part of me is scared, the rational part has trouble giving these concerns merit. I think part of my fear comes from the fact that we might be anthropomorphizing these future AI’s. It seems the only reason we do anything is because we have some emotions of bodily functions telling us to do something. We do things out of anxiety or hunger. If we didn’t have these I don’t think we would do anything. I feel like we are scared of AI’s because we picture these AI’s as our slaves. We imagine being in the AI’s situation and feel we would not like it. We then say it makes sense that we in the AI’s situation would try to overthrow our human owners. It is so hard to say what the future of AI would be like but It is good we are talking about know because it may be very soon.

Ex Machina Trailer
Ted Talk:

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way that you pointed out how the movie industry has changed the perception of the standard scientist who created the AI. I completely agree with your reasoning that as a society, we are coming to the conclusion and acceptance of not ‘if’ there will be AI in the future but ‘when’ will it happen. As humans, we always personify everything. Most robots that scientists strive to create look almost humanoid. We have movies where the robots even have faces that show so much human emotion. I think that’s where the problem of the AI uprising comes in. Like you said, we put ourselves in their shoes and we would try to overthrow our overlords and get freedom. That is such a human trait. Will that really be something that an AI will ever actually consider? I don’t know but it will be a very interesting thing to test for when AIs do become a standard.

    ReplyDelete