Sunday, February 15, 2015

Do I even need to leave my apartment?

It was a typical lazy Sunday in February. At around noon I finally felt like getting out of bed and put some decent clothes on (and by decent I mean sweats and a t-shirt), and I headed over to my boyfriend's place to chill for the day. 1:30 pm rolls around, and my boyfriend and I started to get hungry. It was super cold and windy outside, so both of us decided that it was totally not worth it to go get lunch on Washington street. I opened up my laptop and scrolled through delivery options on delivery.com. Just a few clicks, some credit card information, and 30-45 minutes later, food was at the door. After some homework and plenty of video games, dinner time rolled around. See, now it was even colder outside, so of course we weren't going out to eat. I opened up my laptop and ordered Domino's pizza online. Just a few clicks, some credit card information, and 30-45 minutes later, pizza was at the door. So, my boyfriend and I are of age, and we decided we wanted to have a couple of drinks. Now it's around 10 pm, so hell basically froze over. I opened up my laptop, and scrolled through alcohol delivery options online. Just a few clicks, some credit card information, and 30-45 minutes later, booze was at the door.

For the both of us, and probably the majority reading this blog post, that was a pretty awesome lazy Sunday. During the day, however, I jokingly said to my boyfriend, "I wonder if there is someone on this earth who has literally never left their home." We both found it surprisingly plausible and funny, but after a couple of hours it got me thinking, which is why I am writing this. I feel as though if you play your cards right, there is absolutely no need to ever leave your home. If you need groceries, there's a delivery website for that, if you need food, there's a delivery website for that, if you need home-ware or maintenance items, there's a delivery website for that. If you need to learn something new, just Google it. If you worked from home or are living with your parents, then voila, instant bubble boy/girl.

For me, I don't really know if such convenience is better or detrimental to society. I'm not the kind of person who would abuse it to the point where I never leave my place (though what I do on the weekends may seem like it). There are people who definitely would and definitely do, though. I picture them as that fat World of Warcraft dude in the basement of his parents' place in South Park. And will it get to the point where everything is only accessible online? Kind of like a Fahrenheit 451 ordeal--will books and paper media become completely obsolete? I honestly can't see that happening, but with the way things are going, it isn't impossible. Until then, I will keep my lazy Sundays extra lazy, because I can.

1 comment:

  1. This post really hits home with me, I have also always wondered this. I don't like to consider myself lazy but there are many times it is just easier to order food or even groceries online and have them delivered right to your door. With Amazon now, you can basically get anything delivered to your door and if your willing to spend the extra money, in less then a day. There have been times that I have ordered some of my groceries on there because not only were they cheaper then at the store but I didn't even need to leave my place to get them. I could easily imagine there are people who haven't left there house in years. Especially now with the ability to work at home, you could even still get a pay check once a week all inside the comfort of your house. You can even find doctors that will make house calls. Basically everything you could ever possibly need can be delivered directly to your front door. Personally, I think it is crazy that this concept is even plausible but despite that, I am more then certain there are people out there who haven't seen the outside world in years.

    ReplyDelete