Monday, February 9, 2015

Cell Phone and Productivity

After doing the tech diary assignment I realized how much I am on my phone, especially during time when I should be focusing on something else like class, a meeting, practice, or a meet. I recently got the Moto X 2nd generation phone and noticed that it had a built in productivity function that I had yet to take advantage of. The way the function worked is based on your Google calendar, it will silence your phone from select notifications, or all notifications, during a time that your calendar is blocked off. I began to organize my Google calendar to block off all times I have class, work, senior design meetings, fencing practice, weight training, and fencing meets. In my mind these were all times that I knew I should not need to use my phone. I knew that class time and work would be the hardest for me not to spend time on my phone. It is so easy to get distracted by a text, email, or any notification for that matter. On Thursday I put my productivity setting into affect. I usually keep my phone in my pocket or on my lap so the buzzing or lighting up of a notification always gets my attention. With the start of class my phone was silent. For my first class I did not check my phone at all which I felt like was an accomplishment. However, in later classes I checked the time on my phone which sometimes led to checking email, responding to a text, or checking Facebook. Even with the productivity setting on my phone I was looking at it and not paying attention so I was going to have to make an adjustment as well not just my phone. Therefore I am trying to have a better mentality about checking my phone, and trying to realize that I don't need to be on my phone all the time. While I have not have class again since Thursday I am ready to keep using my productivity settings and my new mentality to stay focused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment