Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Feminism

     Something I see pretty often, not as much recently, but frequently at a certain point in time, is the association of radical feminist and actually feminists.  For clarification, a radical feminist is an activist with very different motivations than that of actual feminists. Rather than striving for equality, radical feminists look toward female superiority, putting down men whenever they get the chance in order to feel a sense of authority. Having spent more time on tumblr than I am proud to admit, I can vouch for the fact that many of these radical feminists are motivated by a severe case of penis-envy that clearly does not represent what feminism is about.
     This topic of radical feminists is definitely bring brought to light more often in practical conversation. I can think of at least 5 instances where this topic was brought up in classroom situations since I have gotten to Stevens, which is something that I am really proud to say. The Instructors of this institution bring up the topic of feminism as a means of combating ignorance. From these discussions I have yet to hear any questionable responses, giving me a little more faith in humanity, that is, until I have to observe the ignorance that exists in the actual community.
     Two weeks ago, I was playing Smash 4, me and my other friend being the only women playing out of a total of 8 players. During the team battle, my female friend had been the lone survivor of her team at some point, to which she responded in protest by shouting, "NO YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME ALONE I'M A GIRL!" or something along those lines. I threw some serious side-eye before I told her how that statement was a deprecation to all women, something that no one should say, especially not another woman. The fact that she said this as a reflex is really what I had the biggest problem with. Not only does it show her own insecurity in herself, but it also shows her intrinsic belief that women are inferior to men in her situation. It is small events like these that really highlight the issues that stand in the way of feminism, some of which were well represented in the panel that occurred a couple of weeks ago.
      One of the things I am always unsettled by is seeing women put down the general female population. I have never been a key-board warrior activist for feminism, nor have I even been vocal about the issue of feminism, but in the face of those types of situations I feel the obligation to speak up. It is a sad truth that women cause the downfall of other women to feel superiority, because all it really goes to show is that individuals disregard for their own gender. other issues mentioned in the panel that I had really never thought about was the idea of chivalry co-existing with feminism. chivalry can exist with feminism as long as it is reciprocated and is not expected. The idea of being polite and doing good to others is a concept that should apply to all people regardless of gender, but there are aspects of traditional chivalry that definitely don't do well with feminism. Men feeling the obligation to act like men is something I find to be very irritating, like needing to pay the bill, or needing to be of some service to women. In order to co-exist with feminism, chivalry must focus on equality and reciprocation, not a one sided obligation based on gender.

2 comments:

  1. The task associated with Appearance Market is defined as separated within several fields they're, Supplying as well as Shifting Providers, Home and Office Moving Solutions, Launching along with Unloading Companies, Travel Companies as well as Major Products / Equipment Packaging & Moving Products and services.

    Click Here:
    packers and movers pune
    packers and movers in pune
    movers and packers pune
    movers and packers in pune

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make You Big Is The Company For PR , Event Management, Election Management, News Paper advertising,Digital Marketing, Web Designing, And Advertising Which Helps to Make Your Business Grow In The Market

    ReplyDelete