Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Elitest Culture Within the Tech Community - identification through Disassociation

     iPhones are ridiculously inferior to nexus and galaxy phones. Never will I understand the sales that Apple rakes in annually for the terrible quality and design of there products, not just with phones, but also with operating systems. It is clear that the one and only Operating system that should exist is none other than Linux. Open source is a paradigm that we must implement to destroy capital America and bring peace and sanity to the world. Wait, are you playing an iPhone game right now? smh iPhone games are the actual worst. PC master race!#winning

     That entire paragraph is my attempt at summing up the elitest culture that is VERY prevalent in computer science and the tech community. I must hear at least half of these statements being made several time a day by my peers and it is quite unsettling. this blog post is not meant to be a rant about people expressing their opinions and preferences, but rather it is a questioning of why individuals within the tech community must present their opinions in such a condescending manner.
     One of the many regrets I have in life is not playing more video games as a child. My sister was never very fond of video games, so if I had to play it would have meant playing by myself. Autonomous gaming is definitely an acquired taste, something which I do not have. As a result of my lack of knowledge and skill in gaming, I spent much of my time participating in other subcultures, that is until I found the game that would consume my life for the following two years. Puzzles and Dragons is a match three mobile game that incorporates the idea of unit management similar to that of training and evolving Pokemon. The game, at its core is very simple, but in order to really partake in the experience, players must be well-versed in monster updates as well as current events that are posted on the games main website. This Japanese mobile game was released in US iOS app stores in October of 2012 and quickly took my 80% Japanese high school by storm. a month after its release to the american market, I began to play Puzzles and dragons thinking it would be merely a phase just like cut the rope, angry birds, and candy crush, but I was gravely mistaken. I, to this day, very actively play this game to the point of setting alarms in the middle of the night so that I won't miss special dungeons.
     The reason I bring up my obsession with this game, is that as soon as I got here and spoke about it to other CS majors, I was instantly scoffed at because I was advocating a mobile game. Techies are so quick to judge others based on their preferences and skill sets that it makes fitting into the culture quite difficult. The topic we went over in class, identification through disassociation and association was one I really enjoyed that brought this issue to light. Identification through disassociation is a consistent trait that spans even beyond the students onto the professors. Having preferences is perfectly fine and encouraged, but they way those preferences are vocalized does matter. What individuals of this discourse fail to realize is that their disapproval of the general community for their lack of knowledge is offensive and creates a negative image for other computer scientists as being condescending and judgmental. While I do enjoy computer science, I do see this attitude as a major issue within the community that I would like to see corrected. The type of phone in my pocket and the OS that I am running are completely irrelevant to who I am as a person and as a computer scientist. to be judged and categorized on such factors is childish and overall unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment