Sunday, December 1, 2013

3 REASONS WHY GOOGLE GLASS WILL FAIL

3   R E A S O N S   W H Y   G O O G L E   G L A S S   I S   G O I N G    T O   F A I L

1. We Already Have SmartPhones

Stay with me here. I know full well what this argument sounds like to you. You’re going to try to compare me to someone from a past generation who said “well we already have typewriters, why would we need computers” and dismiss this argument as short-sighted. That’s not what I’m getting at.

My point in saying that Google Glass is going to fail because many people already have smartphones stems from a few observations about what the system can presently do. As far as I have seen, Google Glass does not have any function it performs that a SmartPhone cannot. I encourage commenters to prove me wrong on this one, because I would certainly love to hear what new thing Google Glass could add to my life. It can call people, take pictures and video, search for things, and give you directions. But my challenge is this – besides being able to refrain from holding your phone in front of your face to display a map in front of you, what is Google Glass really adding to the technology experience?

The jump from old cellphones (affectionately called “dumbphones” now) was clear – the device was more than a phone. It was now more like a computer in your pocket, complete with a web browser and the ability to download apps. The device became customizable to what you wanted to do with it, and arguably more convenient. The concept of a touch screen took away the need for buttons to clutter design – which opened the way for adaptable interfaces that change depending on the app that is currently running. In praising Google Glass’ “innovation,” we may be taking the SmartPhone for granted.

So would there even be a jump of any kind when making the move to Google Glass from a SmartPhone? In my opinion, that jump would at best be a jump to the side, not forward. It may even be a step backward, if interacting with your headset proves to be less innovative that using a SmartPhone. How much can you interact with a device when it only has a scrollbar you can touch with your fingers and a slew of voice commands? The importance of haptic feedback in interface design cannot be understated, and for every technological innovation that tries to make do without it, I have never seen a product that I have been pleased with.


2. Not Everyone Wants To Wear Glasses

I stole this argument from my father, who pointed out the lengths he went to in order to not wear glasses all the time. He wears contact lenses in order to correct his vision without the need to wear something on his face, and I only ever see him wear glasses late at night when he’s already removed the lenses. My aunt got corrective laser eye surgery so that she wouldn’t need them anymore – and she is just one of many. Now I realize that I’m citing two personal examples of people from an older generation, but I don’t think that the need to not have your face obstructed is an old-fashioned ideal. It could be as natural to human beings as basic survival – people are very resistant to change, and glasses take getting used to. Very few people wear them purely as fashion items. In addition, do people always want to have glasses on whenever they need the services of a mobile computer?


3. Not Everyone Wants To Look The Same

Think of any science fiction movie you’ve ever seen. What stands out about it to you? Is anything strange? Sure, those movies have odd plots, but what about the world they’ve created? Does anything stick out to you as something that “human beings just wouldn’t do because it isn’t in their nature?” Hmmm… what could it be…

Oh, I know! It’s weird when everyone in those movies wears the exact same jumpsuit thing, almost like a uniform. This is very common in dystopian works that want to show off how the individuality of the person has been lost and absorbed into the complacent mob. Why does Google think that people are going to want to wear the exact same pair of glasses as 100,000 other people in their own country? Fashion isn’t a part of our culture because it’s necessary or important. It’s a part of our culture because people want to use it to stand out.

“But Google Glass comes in 6 distinct colors!”

Stop. That’s not enough. Color barely matters – what people notice is form. The shape of the glasses, which will no doubt be determined by the function it needs to provide. No one wants to look like everybody else and wear a big Google ad on their face. And none of these reasons have anything to do with privacy or the Glass ad experience, which is a completely different topic anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment