Sunday, October 5, 2014

Buy software, get elected

A few years back, I volunteered for a candidate running for state representative.  I’ve always been interested in politics and how the machine works, but when I was in high school, I realized that other people don’t care what you believe and it’s generally easier to not talk about it.  I’m paraphrasing heavily; I don’t know who said this and I’m probably saying it wrong but “If you want to make friends, don’t talk about religion or politics.”

            At this point I was an idiot in high school and I was talking about politics.  A friend of mine who shared my views was a family friend of a woman who was running for state representative.  The day before the election, my friend texted me and asked if I would be interested in helping with the election.

            The headquarters for the candidate was close to my house.  My friend picked me up in the morning and drove me to the HQ.   I shook hands with the candidate, and they put me to work.

            I was handed a laptop and a prepaid cellphone.  The laptop had a database, listing the name, address, phone number, party affiliation and more information of every registered voter in the district. 

            My job was simple.  I sorted the database by voter age, and excluded non-party members.  I went down the list, calling each one, with the script “Hello, my name is Dennis Stewart.  I’m calling on behalf of [candidate name’s] campaign.  Will you need a ride to the polls today?”  I gave the addresses of the ones who needed help to my friend, who was driving for the campaign.

            Most of the people I called had already voted, or had a ride lined up for the polls already.  A few asked me how I had their contact information.  The candidate I was helping won with a decent margin, so I can’t pretend that I was all that stood between loss and victory.  It was a good experience though, and I think the most important thing I got out of it was learning about the market for election software.

            It had never occurred to me the need for this kind of software.  Seeing as state elections only happen every two years, and only so many people run, I didn’t think there was a huge market for it.  I can’t remember the name of the program anymore, but before I left, I asked some of the campaign workers about it.  The software was made by independent contractors.  They sold licenses in bulk to parties in various states.

            Reading the EFF newswire this week, I was surprised to learn about ComputerCOP, a poorly made piece of spyware for parents to install on computers used by their kids.  I wasn’t surprised by the unencrypted keylogger output or the myriad other security issues, those are pretty much par for the course in the field of pay-for spyware.  I was surprised by the software’s distribution and licensing method.

            While ComputerCOP was sold directly to end-users in the 1990’s, they ended sales as the market was flooded with parental control tools.  Instead, ComputerCOP is sold to law enforcement agencies.  A sheriff’s department or police department buys thousands of copies in bulk.  In return, ComputerCOP will send a camera crew and record a video with the head of the department.  The software is stamped with the chief’s face, and a custom box is printed with prominent names.  Departments then distribute the software for free and receive media coverage and support from grateful parents who are glad their children are now safe from the horrors of the internet.  ComputerCOP describes the product as the “perfect election and fundraising tool.”


            The software is almost always purchased using tax dollars, making it essentially free advertising for candidates, who are mostly clueless about the software’s ineffectiveness and security holes.  All companies need software to support them, either internally like the election software, or externally as marketing.  It doesn’t matter if it’s Disney using customer databases and releasing free, thinly veiled advertisement apps, or your local government.

No comments:

Post a Comment